Search Creating Art

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

First Grade Starry Nights





    Well, first let me start off by admitting something about this project...it did not start off as a Starry Night lesson.  Originally, it was going to be a Snowy Mountain Cool Collage.  We created them before the holidays, when it was cold, then I went away for 9 weeks to the other school I teach at and we had to put it on hold.  When I returned, it wasn't cold anymore, so it felt a little funny making snow pictures.  But, true to my plan, I had a first grade class sponge snow over their cool mountain collages.  I was definitely non-plussed with the results!  I felt that the collages were so nice, but yet still needed something to complete them and decided to hold onto them until I figured it out.  Meanwhile, we went on to a new project.  When that project was finished, I was looking in an art book at Van Gogh's Starry Night, and had a light bulb moment- we'll use oil pastels on top of our landscapes to create our own Starry Nights!  I really love the results.  First graders enjoyed making the swirly broken lines just like Van Gogh, and  added their own ideas... the results are beautiful-just like them!   


1 comment:

  1. Julie,
    These are amazing!Sometimes first graders creations absolutely blow me away and I wish my other grades could create wiyh that much abandon.I will enjoy following yor posts:)

    Pat
    sharpiewoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete