Search Creating Art

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Monochromatic Self-Portraits

    Thanks to the wonderful Elementary Art Fun Blog (http://elementaryartfun.blogspot.com/2010/08/first-week-of-school-ideas.html) and a fellow teacher finding this project there and sharing it with us, we created these wonderful self-portraits for our first art class of the school year.  Now these bright, happy faces, K-5,  line the main hallway of our school and are creating a lot of smiles! 
    Students were given a set of monochromatic colors in crayons, colored pencils and markers.  They were instructed on how to draw a simple portrait and add their own unique charateristics to it.  I showed them a portrait of myself that was done in reds, and I asked the students to tell me what they noticed about my portrait, hoping they'd pick up on the color scheme.  But, most said they noticed my hair was pretty, or that I had on lipstick or glasses in my portrait, and I was eating up the compliments.  When one first grade boy at the back of the room seemed to have an epiphany, his hand flew up in the air and he said, "I know!  I know!".  I said, "Yes, what is it?"  He said, "I know, you look better!"  Gotta love first graders!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment